We will be planting trees to help restore and enhance the precious wetland at Kranji Coastal Nature Park that make up Sungei Buloh Wetlands Reserve. Coastal vegetation were mostly cleared by settlements and reservoir construction by the 1970’s. When SBWR was extended to the western edge of Kranji reservoir in 2014, our partnership with NParks allowed us this opportunity to practice habitat enhancement in the area.
Our tree planting session will require that you also undertake Soil Preparation; an important part of the tree-planting process. This will require you to loosen and enhance the soils. The steps include:
- Weed clearance
- Soil exposure
- Soil loosening
- Soil digging
- Soil enhancement
- Tree hole readiness
*Please note that this event is physically strenuous, and is not recommended for the faint-hearted.
- Safety is our priority. We will be working under prevailing COVID-19 safe management measures to keep everyone safe, responsibly.
- Please DO NOT SIGN UP for this event if you are not fully vaccinated* (an individual is considered fully-vaccinated after he/she has received the appropriate regimen of approved vaccines, including their respective duration post-vaccination for the vaccine to be fully effective).
- *Do note that MOH advises vaccinated persons who have received any dose of the mRNA COVID19 vaccines to avoid strenuous exercise or physical activity for two weeks after their vaccination.
On the day of the event,
- you must be FREE OF FLU symptoms: DO NOT TURN UP if experiencing an elevated temperature, sniffing, a sore throat, cough or shortness of breath before the activity. Instead visit a GP if you have any of these symptoms.
- Wear your mask before leaving the house, as required by law.
- Turn on your Trace Together App or carry your TraceTogether token
- Once you reach the site, please maintain a safe distance of ONE METRE at all times.
When in doubt, remember that safety is our priority.
Important points to note:
- Participants MUST wear covered shoes; without this, you will not be able to participate.
- We recommend you wear long pants to work in the area
- We strongly recommend that you bring sunblock, and a hat/cap to help with shelter from the sun
- Always hydrate - bring at least 1 litre of drinking water
- Bring some snacks to munch on and prevent exhaustion
- Bring insect repellent; there are many insects on site
- Bring a change of clothes in case you get drenched or dirty after the muddy activity
- Bring your own gloves, if you have a pair
- We will send you further details of the event 2 days before the event starts.
Date: Saturday, 12 Feb, 2022
Time: 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Location: Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve (Visitor Centre), Singapore